ADA Mesh Cities Christchurch
ADA Mesh Cities Christchurch will be a series of events held over 2013-14 addressing the role of media arts in the city – exploring key issues such as urban space, social engagement, memory and speculative futures.
Over the two-year period the ADA Network will host two major symposia and a series of workshops and speaking tours in various locations throughout New Zealand. A beginning reference point for Mesh Cities Christchurch is the role of media arts in the rebuild of the city. The project proposes a third symposium drawing together the strands back in Christchurch in September 2015
Mesh Cities Christchurch symposia will take place annually during the project and will be held in Dunedin, Auckland with the proposed event in Christchurch. Parallel to Mesh Cities symposia, the ADA Network will run satellite programmes of events such as screenings, exhibitions and performances.
The symposia will allow artists, designers, educators, researchers, curators and other interested parties to engage in critical dialogue exploring various aspects of the role of media art in the city:
- Space : Network : Memory will be held in Dunedin on 13-15th of September 2013 and explore media art and public space: public artworks and installations using media technologies.
- See the Call for Proposals for submission details & background information.
- The programme and registration details will be available here soon
- The Auckland Symposium – centred on media art and social space – will take place in September 2014 and consider media art projects that involve audience participation and emphasise the density of connectedness.
- The final Mesh Cities symposium is proposed for Christchurch 2015, five years after the September 2010 earthquakes. The Christchurch symposium will focus on the role of media art in reimaging and remembering the past and future city while drawing upon three years of activities and discussion.
Each symposium will include a mixture of innovative discussion and presentation formats, featuring invited keynote speakers, panel discussions, open-idea work-shopping sessions, work presentation sessions for artists, and new formats specific to diverse locations, venues and communities.
ADA Mesh City workshops will be distributed throughout the Mesh Cities project. Workshops in Auckland, Wellington, Dunedin and Christchurch will include practical instruction where audiences and practitioners may learn new skills as well as participating in discussions about various aspects of media art practice.
- 2013 New Zealand artist Janine Randerson Neighbourhood Air – details coming soon
- 2014 proposed tour and workshop series by UK artists Blast Theory.
The ADA Mesh Cities Christchurch project was launched with a one-day event in Christchurch – 30 March 2013 at the Physics Room. More information about the roundtable/launch event here and contribute to the conversation Why Mesh?
ADA Mesh Cities Christchurch will receive substantial support in 2013-2014 from Creative New Zealand through the Kahikatea scheme.