ADA Mesh Cities Christchurch
ADA Mesh Cities Christchurch will be a series of events held over 2013-14 addressing the role of media arts in the city – exploring key issues such as urban space, social engagement, memory and speculative futures.
Over the current two-year project the ADA Network will host two major symposia and a series of workshops and speaking tours in various locations throughout New Zealand. A beginning reference point for Mesh Cities Christchurch is the role of media arts in the rebuild of the city. The project proposes a third symposium drawing together the strands back in Christchurch in September 2015
Mesh Cities Christchurch symposia will take place annually during the project and will be held in Dunedin (2013), Auckland (2014) with a proposed event in Christchurch (2015). Parallel to Mesh Cities symposia, the ADA Network will run satellite programmes of events such as screenings, exhibitions and performances.
The symposia will allow artists, designers, educators, researchers, curators and other interested parties to engage in critical dialogue exploring various aspects of the role of media art in the city:
- The Auckland Symposium – centred on media art and social space – will take place at the Auckland University of Technology(AUT) on September 12-14 2014 and consider media art projects that involve audience participation and emphasise the density of connectedness.
details here http://www.ada.net.nz/symposia/auckland-symposium-september-2014/
- DJ3D14 is the inaugural work in a collaboration with the Digital Art Live screen series with http://colab.aut.ac.nz/dal/ to be launched as part of 9th ADA Symposium.
- The Call for Proposals for the ADA Auckland Symposium http://www.ada.net.nz/meshcities/ada-symposium-auckland-september-12-14-cfp/ (are closed now)
- The local information page, includes programme overview and Eventbrite registration details can be found here: http://www.ada.net.nz/meshcities/auckland-local-information/
- The FULL PROGAMME is now available: http://www.ada.net.nz/symposia/auckland-symposium-programme/ more details to be added as the Symposium date approaches
- Space : Network : Memory was held in Dunedin on 13-15th of September 2013 and explored media art and public space: public artworks and installations using media technologies.
- See the Call for Proposals for submission details & background information (now closed).
- Check out the format and local information
- The full programme has been updated to include links to papers, works & the documentation of the 3 days of symposium)
2015 and beyond…
- The final Mesh Cities symposium is proposed for Christchurch 2015, five years after the September 2010 earthquakes. The Christchurch symposium will focus on the role of media art in re-imagining and remembering the past and future city while drawing upon three years of activities and discussion.
Each symposium will include a mixture of innovative discussion and presentation formats, featuring invited keynote speakers, panel discussions, open-idea work-shopping sessions, work presentation sessions for artists, and new formats specific to diverse locations, venues and communities.
ADA Mesh City Panel at ISEA as part of the outcomes of the first year ADA Mesh Cities presented a panel at the International Symposium of Electronic Arts (ISEA) in Sydney. Titled Media Art and the Transitional City it saw eight ADA members join in a discussion about their own practice and how it intersects with the Mesh Cities project. The conversations were submitted as a paper for proceedings and is shared with the community through the Sydney eScholarship repository
ADA Mesh City workshops will be distributed throughout the Mesh Cities project. Workshops in Auckland, Wellington, Dunedin and Christchurch will include practical instruction where audiences and practitioners may learn new skills as well as participating in discussions about various aspects of media art practice.
- 2013 New Zealand artist Dr Janine Randerson (Neighbourhood Hope Index)- national workshop tour including at the Space : Network : Memory Symposium in Dunedin – Programme & Links to papers, works and documentation
- 2014 tour and workshop series artists are Sound Sky
currently touring with workshops in Christchurch, Auckland, Dunedin and Wellington (TBA)
The ADA Mesh Cities Christchurch project was launched with a one-day event in Christchurch – 30 March 2013 at the Physics Room. More information about the roundtable/launch event here and contribute to the conversation Why Mesh?
ADA Mesh Cities Christchurch will receive substantial support in 2013-2014 from Creative New Zealand through the Toi Uru Kahikatea (Arts Development) scheme.